Wednesday 3 October 2012

FOR A SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE

I was against a Sovereign National Conference (SNC) because I felt the National Assembly has legitimacy and could amend the Constitution to effect the fundamental changes we require without recourse to an extra-legislative SNC. I have changed my mind. I was wrong. With the activities of Boko Haram and the prevailing tension in our country, I realise now that true prosperity, enduring peace, unity, justice and equity will continue to elude Nigeria until the terms of Nigeria's nationhood are discussed openly, freely and duly renegotiated by the federating nationalities.

Firstly, the membership of NASS is presently unduly skewed to the north-west geo-political zone based on the false population census figures of the last 60 years so other zones are not fairly represented in NASS.

Secondly, most of the present members of NASS have proved to be no different from their greedy and corrupt predecessors and so cannot be trusted to deal with controversial issues such as true fiscal federalism, resource control based on derivation, a unicameral legislature etc. without compromising because of filthy lucre.

Consequently, I now identify myself with the call for a Sovereign National Conference. I still believe in Nigeria. Our existence as a country was God's sovereign act not Lord Lugard's idea. However, we can only build a nation where truth, justice, equity and prosperity reign if we are courageous enough to convene an SNC and assure our children's future is not futher jeopardised as citizens of Nigeria. As we celebrate our 52nd Independence Anniversary, the time is ripe to emplace the constitutional machinery to duly give effect to a Sovereign National Conference.

God bless Nigeria!

No comments:

Post a Comment